Resilience is our ability to cope with stress, overcome obstacles and work through adversity in our quest for a bigger goal or objective.
As humans we are programmed to resist change. But change is inevitable, change is healthy and change is how we grow and improve. How we manage change by facing, embracing and working through the challenges that come up as we work toward our goals and objectives is largely what determines how successful we will be in accomplishing our set goals.
Whether the goal is to get into the college of our choice, get the job we’ve always wanted or just get into the jeans we haven’t worn since high school, resilience is a learned behavior and the choices we make each and every day are vital to building resilience.
Here’s a few ways you can start to develop the skill that is resilience.
- Don’t be insane…. Insanity is behaving the same way but expecting a different result. Change your thinking and approach and you will change the outcome.
- S _ _ T Happens, get over it! Be the boss of your emotions. While you can’t always influence what happens, you can influence and control how you respond to those things. Keep your emotions in check when s_ _ t happens, learn from it and move forward.
- April showers bring May flowers! Find the silver lining. Focus on the positive in a tough situation.
- “If you’re not falling your not trying hard enough”. Welcome growing pains….Experiencing failure in the wake of trying new things is how we grow and improve, provided we are willing to learn from the failure. By remaining focused on the larger goal, the challenges that arise daily will seem like speed bumps instead of walls.
- Thomas Edison said “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Celebrate the little victories each day. It will give you the strength you need to overcome the next hurdle toward your ultimate goal.
- Take the focus off of yourself. Help someone in your life and you will find more strength and resolve when dealing with your own life’s challenges.
- “We all need somebody to lean on!” Build and maintain strong and supportive relationships with people at home and at work. We all need someone at sometime in our lives.
- \WHY? Have a strong reason for your goal. The stronger your WHY, the harder you’ll TRY!